Southwestern University was established as Southwestern Colleges in the summer of 1946 and it became a university on December 11, 1959. It is a private university located in the middle of the large city Cebu. When the whole country was in the process of building rehabilitation from the big destruction that resulted from the Second World War. The founders were Don Matias Hipolito Chavez Aznar II and his wife, Dona Annunciation Barcenilla Aznar, both decided to establish a medical school that was within the reach of the common people.
At the time of the established, the college had only three two-story buildings, on an approximately two-hectare plot with only 18 faculty members, 509 students, and the following programs:
- High School
- Liberal Arts
- Education and Law
Academic programs: –
The University providing Professional programs to their medical students.
- College of Medicine
- Graduate School Doctorate Degree Programs
- Graduate School Master’s Degree Programs
- The university having medical experts in all fields of specialization;
- Well-equipped college with state-of-the-art facilities;
- Focus on improving student’s skills in medical practice;
- Research & implement a research-oriented instruction and research-based medical courses of study;
- Use the latest information technology-based teaching;
- Practice community-oriented, develop core skills and universally-accepted health care;
- provide avenues for PG training students in a particular field of medical discipline.
Southwestern Medical University’s Accreditation and Recognition
- SWU is one of the first medical universities in the Philippines. And it was founded in the large city Cebu.
- It is regarded as the Outstanding Educational Institution by the Cebu Government.
- It is received the National Award for Community Service by the San Miguel Corporation and the Rotary Club of Makati.
- The University has an extensive and enriched medical curriculum that meets today’s global medical demands.
- SWU is one of the best top leading research-oriented Medical Universities in the Philippines, with top-notch state-of-the-art amenities and educational opportunities.
- The University recognized by the PAASCU (Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities)